FAQ Home
Submit a Question
English (42)
Spanish (43)
Search Articles
Advanced Search
Frequently Asked Questions
Search our FAQ to find resolutions to common issues.
Favorite Articles
Search Articles that you have marked as your favorite.
Main Page > English > Application Requests
Do I send the application to the telephone company?

For Prepaid phone service you should provide your application package directly to the service provider. You will need to contact that provider for information on how you can submit this information.

For all other providers, the telephone company cannot process your form.  Please send the form directly to Texas Lifeline at the address on the form:

Texas Lifeline

PO Box 4060

Killeen, TX  76540-4060

or Fax: 877-215-8018

or Email: [email protected]

A prepaid mobile device is a phone for which credit is purchased in advance of service use. These types of phones are also commonly referred to as pay-as-you-go, pay-as-you-talk, pay and go, go-phone or prepay.

All "other providers" generally include traditional land line or contracted mobiles service.

Article ID: 61 Article Created: 02-13-2008 08:52 AMLast Modified: 05-20-2019 10:05 AM

Print  Save  Notify Me  Add to Favorites